The best of both worlds
For our internationally minded students and their families, keeping options open and taking advantage of the best educational systems the world has to offer can be exciting, inspiring and practical.
That's why many of our schools offer a combination of curricula. At GEMS Education we often blend the schools' local curriculum with the best elements of an international one. In alternative GEMS schools students are educated in a leading national curriculum, like the National Curriculum of England or the American Curriculum, then study for an International Baccalaureate (IB) during their two pre-university years. So
Choosing your child's curriculum
Which option is right for your child? How important is a local education? Which international curriculum is the best fit for your child's learning style? What's so good about the IB? Here's a quick look at the elements we combine at many of our international dual curriculum schools.
Local state curricula
A close connection to local culture can be a key part of a student's development. At many of our schools we're very proud to offer local state curriculum in tandem with international curriculum. This approach gives our students the opportunity to feel connected to their home and enjoy a top quality international education. The best of both worlds - literally!
The American curriculum
Hands-on learning is at the heart of the US curriculum. Taught in many dual curriculum schools overseas, this system promotes individual achievement and academic excellence in a very broad rage of subject areas.
- Available in dual curriculum schools worldwide
- Ideal for students keen to attend US and Canadian universities
- A flexible curriculum which can be individually tailored to suit unique schools
- A broad, balanced and student centered approach
- Assessed though standardised testing
- Students complete SAT and advanced placement tests for university admission
Learn more about the American curriculum with GEMS Education.
The British curriculum
Also referred to as the National Curriculum for England, this system focusses on creativity and creating measurable, achievable goals for students. It provides a carefully structured system of assessments at every educational stage. This ensures every student, parent and child is aware of individual progress and goals, helping all children reach their potential.
Critical thinking, flexibility and a liberal approach are all key parts of this respected curriculum
- Established in 1988
- Taught widely in international schools across the globe
- Broad, balanced and student-centered
- Features regular national benchmarking and assessment
- Results in an International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), AS and A level qualifications
Learn more about the British curriculum with GEMS Education.
The Indian curriculum
The Indian curriculum believes wholeheartedly that a good education is your child's passport to life’s opportunities. With a focus on Indian culture and values, alongside the pursuit of academic excellence, Indian curricula taught in international dual curriculum schools encourage dedicated study and help each student take personal responsibility for their own academic success.
- Includes the CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) and the CISCE (Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations)
- Strong focus on academics
- Effective for a very wide ability range
- Ideal for students keen to enter the best Indian universities
- Growing acceptance from universities worldwide
Learn more about the Indian curriculum with GEMS Education.
The International Baccalaureate
Many of our international dual curriculum schools offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) as an alternative curriculum for your child's two pre-university years. This is a highly internationally respected curriculum, designed to give students a global outlook and a rigorous education in the broadest range of subjects possible.
- Established in 1969
- Strong international focus
- Very well-respected by international universities
- Seen as the broadest international curriculum
- Early introduction to independent research
- School-driven formative assessments
- Available at primary, middle and diploma levels
Learn more about the IB with GEMS Education.
Keen to find out more about our flexible approach to local and international curricula? Contact our team for further information about our international dual curriculum schools.