GEMS The Cambridge High School, Abu Dhabi
CHS Mini Garden
CHS takes pride in its mini garden initiative, which serves as a platform for raising awareness about sustainability and nurturing a sense of environmental stewardship in our students. Through this initiative, students actively participate in planting and caring for their plants, fostering a connection with nature.
Our commitment to sustainability extends to the use of vertical gardens, both on the rooftop and ground floor, where we also revive existing vertical plants on the ground floor. In addition, we have created a specially designed garden area on the CHS rooftop, providing a green oasis for our school community to enjoy. Maintaining these gardens is a collaborative effort, with support from dedicated in-school volunteers and partners from Parivarthan.
As part of our forward-thinking plan, we intend to utilize the vegetation from these gardens in our cafeteria, setting an example for our students by incorporating sustainability into everyday practices. The advantages of our CHS mini garden initiative include:
- Providing students with hands-on experience in planting trees and nurturing them.
- Setting a positive example for other students, encouraging them to increase greenery in their surroundings.
- Educating students about the numerous benefits of planting and promoting environmental sustainability.
By fostering a love for nature and sustainability, we aim to empower our students to become responsible stewards of our environment and advocates for a greener future.
Sustainability takes various forms, and adopting a healthier diet is one way to lead a more sustainable life. Students must be aware of this important aspect, and we actively promote it through various channels. Our efforts include advertising the benefits of sustainable eating in our morning assemblies and displaying informative posters throughout the school. By spreading awareness and encouraging sustainable dietary choices, we empower our students to make healthier and environmentally responsible decisions for a better future.
Here are the methods we are implementing to address this issue:
- Promoting Healthy Eating: We restrict students from bringing junk food to school and actively encourage healthier alternatives. By promoting better dietary choices, we aim to instil a sense of responsibility for personal health and the environment.
- Educational Initiatives: We organize seminars, create informative posters, and host competitions on various environmental subtopics. These activities are designed to raise awareness among students about environmental issues and solutions.
- Volunteering Opportunities: In partnership with Parivarthan, we provide volunteering opportunities for our students, including participation in the Sustainability Oil Initiative. These experiences allow students to actively engage in environmental conservation efforts and witness the impact of their actions.
By implementing these strategies, we are working diligently to ensure that our students are well-informed and motivated to contribute to a more sustainable and environmentally conscious future.
Waste Management Initiative
- Categories: Separate waste into recyclable (e.g., paper, glass) and non-recyclable (e.g., plastics) bins.
- Education: Raise awareness about waste separation through campaigns and informative materials.
- Collection: Establish regular waste collection schedules.
- Monitoring: Appoint monitors to oversee waste separation efforts.
Plastic-Free School Initiative (2024 No Plastic UAE):
- Ban Plastic: Prohibit plastic bottles and tiffin boxes.
- Provide Alternatives: Encourage reusable alternatives and set up water refill stations.
- Enforcement: Enforce the ban with consequences for violations.
Paper Drive Initiative:
- Collect Paper: Organize regular paper drives for recycling.
- Recycling: Collaborate with local facilities for proper paper recycling.
- Education: Use drives to educate participants about recycling benefits.
Progress Tracking: Keep track of collected paper for impact assessment.
No Waste Initiative
Appointing a sustainability leader role in each classroom is an excellent initiative to promote environmental awareness and reduce waste within the school. Here's a more detailed breakdown of the roles and responsibilities of the sustainability leader:
Role of a Sustainability Leader:
- Energy Conservation Advocate:
- Ensure there is no waste of electricity by turning off lights and AC when not needed, such as during breaks, assemblies, and at the end of the school day.
- Educate classmates about the importance of energy conservation and encourage them to be mindful of turning off lights and equipment.
- Waste Management Coordinator:
- Promote proper waste segregation and disposal among peers. This includes recycling, composting, and reducing single-use plastics.
- Lead by example in maintaining a clean and organized classroom environment.
- Sustainability Educator:Create and deliver PowerPoint presentations or discussions on sustainability topics during form times or other suitable occasions.
By clearly defining the roles and responsibilities of the sustainability leader, the ‘Waste Management’ initiative is implemented effectively and limit the waste of electricity in school.